You'll never taste a better Turkey……it's our Promise!
ALL our Free-Range Turkeys are raised in the old fashioned way by our farmer, Mark Stevens at Water Hall Farm in Sudbury,
who, like his father before him, has supplied us with these specially reared birds at Christmas for over 50 years.
These turkeys are developed from the slow-growing breeds of days gone by and they are given only natural foods -
which means that, come dinner time, you'll be enjoying the finest flavoured turkey you could imagine.
When you order one of our Turkeys you can be sure of the tastiest possible Christmas meal.
Our Quality Assurance Code guarantees that our turkeys are:
- Reared and produced with the greatest care by independent farmers, dedicated to producing the finest turkeys
- Grown slowly to full maturity
- Fed rations containing at least 70 per cent grain with no animal protein and never given additives for growth promotion
- Never given antibiotics except as prescribed by a vet
- Housed in buildings giving both natural light and ventilation while providing essential weather protection with space at or better than Animal Welfare Code recommendations.
- Free range stock have open daily access to grazing for at least 11 weeks
- Always handled with extreme care by experienced staff under the personal supervision of the farmer
- Regularly bedded with comfortable straw or soft wood shavings
- Grown on farms independently inspected to ensure that the code is met in full
- Slaughtered on the farm to avoid the stress of long distance transportation
- Always dry plucked and hung for at least seven days to mature and develop the natural flavours unique to this traditional type of production
- Processed in facilities inspected by the local Environmental Health officer or Meat Hygiene Service
- Individually inspected to qualify for the Golden Promise guarantee
What makes our turkeys taste so good?
We believe there are three major reasons:
1. Selecting traditional slow-growing stock which is grown to maturity. (Many other turkeys are only about 10 weeks old when they are slaughtered, and the meat hasn't had time to develop its proper texture.)
2. Rearing the turkeys in the most welfare-friendly environment - whether they are barn-reared or free range. Our turkeys are fed natural foods and never given antibiotics or other additives for growth promotion. Everything is done to ensure our turkeys enjoy a stress-free life.
3. Dry plucking and then hanging for a minimum of seven days. Food experts agree that all types of good meat get even better by being hung, and our turkeys are no exception.
from19th dec 2008